Course Open. Total Buggy Ban. Total Trolley Ban. Preferred Lies in Play for areas cut to fairway height or less. Updated: 4th Dec 2023
According to a report in Meyer’s Observer, dated 22nd March 1895, this was the beginning of Bush Hill Park Golf Club.
Originally a 9-hole course situated in Queen Anne’s Gardens, Enfield, by 1897 there were 125 gentlemen and 36 lady members.
In 1909, the Course was required for development and the Club leased land from the Old Park Estate owned by Hugh Rawlinson Ford. The new 18-hole course was opened on 7th June 1913. A Clubhouse was built that was paid for by the members, but in 1920, was destroyed by a fire.
In 1914, as the Club started negotiations to buy the land, the First World War postponed proceedings. Eventually, in 1922 the land, together with the house, was purchased for £20,000.
In 1934, the Club was offered £100,000 for development but members refused to sell. Middlesex County Council wished to buy land in 1937 to preserve the open space and by 1939, it was agreed to sell the house and land for £70,000 but before the sale was completed, World War Two had begun. The membership then was 250 gentlemen and 97 ladies, and the annual subscription was nine guineas, or £9.45.
During the war, the Clubhouse was leased to the Anti-Aircraft Brigade, and anti-glider ditches were dug on parts of the course. Golf was played but golf balls were in short supply.
After 1945, the Club slowly returned to normality and was finally re-opened on 26th March 1948. By 1953 the annual subscription was £16 and there was no joining fee.